The Tulsa Review seeks bold, unique voices for publication in our annual journal. We accept submissions of any unpublished, short creative writing (such as poems, fiction, novel excerpts, creative nonfiction, one-act plays, and short screenplays) and visual artwork (such as photographs, illustrations, or digital images).
Submission deadline: March 1, 2021.
General Submission Guidelines
- Any writer or artist who is not a TCC student may submit their unpublished work as a General Submission.
- Do not include your name on your manuscript or artwork. We read and judge submissions blindly.
- Each submission in every category must be submitted individually.
- Prose and poetry submissions must be in a .DOC, .DOCX, .RTF, or .TXT file format. Please use Times New Roman font, size 12
- For fiction and nonfiction use double spaced lines. Do not exceed 7,500 words. Writers can submit up to 2 works in each genre.
- Poets can submit up to 5 poems. Do not exceed 25-30 lines.
- For drama, writers can submit up to 3 works.
- Visual artwork must be submitted as a .PDF of less than 5 MB. (If your artwork is selected for publication, we will contact you for a higher-resolution image.) Artists can submit up to 5 pieces.
- We encourage submissions to multiple genres.
- Submissions are accepted year-round but are reviewed only during the spring semester.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but let us know immediately if a work has been accepted for publication elsewhere.
- When a submission is accepted for publication, Tulsa Review is given first-publication rights. (Rights revert to the author/artist after publication.)
- TCC students, if you wish to submit to the TCC Student Writing Contest, please see the TCC Student Writing Contest Guidelines. If you are a TCC student submitting to a contest, there is no need to make a separate General Submission.
There is no fee to submit. For each piece submit a short bio (no more than 30 words) to be included with publication. Feel free to include any social media information or your personal creative website. All contributors will be notified by April 1, 2021 whether their work has been accepted.